Veteran Surf Alliance is a Santa Cruz community based California nonprofit organization that teaches, coaches, and mentors Veterans to surf and be respected members of their communities.
We accomplish this through routine surf meetups, annual events, a surf coaching program, and access to surfboards and other vital equipment to keep veterans in the water.
Our Vision: To smooth the transition between military service and civilian living through surfing. We want veterans to find the same type of camaraderie they had while serving in the military with members of their community.
We meet in Santa Cruz the last Saturday of every month and in Pacifica every Tuesday, rain or shine. The Central Coast Chapter in Pismo Beach meets regularly. Our members travel from San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and as far as Sacramento and Fresno. We meet all over the Northern California coast.
We are a peer-led supportive community that fosters friendships, camaraderie, and stoke. We provide soft top surfboards, wetsuits, and instruction to newcomers. We typically surf for about 2 hours, where we all share in the experience that the ocean offers that day, then share in a post-surf snack. Being a member of the VSA encourages a better sense of self and community. The VSA is excited to be expanding and welcoming new members and supporters, stickers included! There are no membership dues or fees.
Code of Conduct
1) Spread the Stoke with your fellow veterans and VSA surfers - Have fun !
2) Surf with the VSA as often as personal and Ocean conditions allow.
3) Surf to your ability - go after the bigger waves when ready.
4) Encourage the newest VSA surfer to catch the wave. There will always be another wave.
5) Listen to your fellow VSA surfer when they want to talk. Lift each other up when down.
6) Honor the VSA - avoid inflammatory/threatening/violent behaviors in and out of the Ocean.
7) Respect the VSA - do not get intoxicated at VSA community events and please respect personal space.
Veteran Surf Alliance is a Nonprofit 501(c)3